Human Connection in a Virtual World
“What is the most important thing in your company —
is it trust or is it growth?
If anything trumps trust, we are in trouble…
You have to choose what is really important to you.
We are in a new world…
and trust better be number one.”
-Marc Benioff, CEO, Salesforce
Work has changed!
Remote work leads in the business headlines nearly every day! You have had to quickly… Adapt. Change. Transform. You managed to pivot how you work overnight and with no preparation.
But how are you really doing?
How is sitting at home in front of our computers impacting us? Our clients? Our teams?
Take a quick look:
• Remote teams are 2.5 times more likely to experience mistrust with distant colleagues than those who are co-located.
• Research shows a lack of close contact with people inhibits the formation of trust, connection, and mutual purpose. -HBR
The reality is that with remote work,
if you’re out of sight, you’re easily out of mind.
To avoid this, we need extra measures to build trust and human connection with our colleagues and clients….otherwise engagement, satisfaction & growth will suffer.
Can a focus on trust in our new remote world be good for business?
Yes! Employees in high-trust environments:
• 74% less stress,
• 50% higher productivity,
• 76% more engagement, and with each other
• 70% more alignment with their companies’ purpose compared to employees in low-trust environments.
• Employees stay with employers longer than people working at low-trust companies.
-Harvard Business Review
Having a strong human connection
with one’s work and colleagues, feeling like a real contributor,
and enjoying ample chances to learn—
consistently leads to positive outcomes for all.
-Gallup American Workforce Research
This one small shift in perspective can fill the trust bank:
• TRUST IS ABOUT FOCUSING ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO THE OTHER PERSON, FIRST…Colleagues and Clients.
• AND THEN, FOCUSING ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO US… SECOND.
If this resonates with you, I would love to hear how it relates to your experiences!
Want to know more about how trust builds your influence, impact and bottom line?
Schedule my virtual lunch and learn:
“Human Connection in a Virtual World: Leadership Essentials that Engage.”
Email me at email@example.com with TRUST in the subject line for more information.
Be well! Be happy!